Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pictures and a Recipe!

I started VBD yesterday and it was a success food-wise!  (Excepting the cookies I ate post-blood donation, but I'll get to that.)

Breakfast was Oatmeal made with vanilla almond milk-topped with fresh strawberries and bananas.  I've never cooked oatmeal that wasn't instant, so this was fun and delicious!

Lunch was a Romain salad with pico de gallo, homemade corn and black bean salsa, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts, avocado, lots of cilantro, and a spicy Boca Chik'n patty. So yummy, but the pico and the patty were a little too spicy for me.  (I'm a wuss when it comes to spicy.)  It was still really good though, and the avocado did a good job of calming the heat.

Dinner was grilled pork tenderloin with a brown sugar spice rub,  mango salsa, baked zucchini, and corn on the cob.  I've never had tenderloin grilled before, but it was so good.  :)

My snacks were an apple, half a banana (Emergency banana, my mouth was on fire after chomping down on an extra spicy bite of my salad.) and frozen grapes.  Usually I am more of a snacker, I just wasn't home much yesterday.

Here's the Recipe (Ok, not a recipe so much, more like instructions.) for the baked zucchini.
My bestie, Sam at Believe In Yourself, makes these amazing breadsticks.  She made them for us on Saturday night and I got to watch.  The topping is the best part...so I pretty much just used the topping on my zucchini.  Usually I will just use some salt and Parmesan cheese.

Ingredients:
1 zucchini
1 Yellow squash (keep these small, don't use the big honkin' ones from your garden.)
1 Tbs Melted Butter or Olive Oil
1/2 tsp. Salad Supreme seasoning
1/2 tsp. Lawry's Garlic Salt
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese (The canned stuff.)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  (I use a toaster oven and it works great.)
Thinly slice the zucchini and squash.  Place in a casserole dish or small glass cake pan and toss with the melted butter or olive oil.  You only need enough to lightly coat all the pieces.
Top with the seasonings.
Bake for 10-20 minutes - You want the zucchini to be just tender and the topping to be lightly browned.

So, the measurements are total guesstimates.  I just sprinkle the seasoning on until it looks good.  Add as much parm as you want.  Right now, this is my favorite way to eat zucchini and squash.

What is your go-to easy vegetable recipe?


No comments:

Post a Comment