Monday, October 15, 2012

6k and FMM- Quick and Random

Saturday morning was my 6k!  I made it to bed on time Friday night and actually slept pretty well.  I woke up 5 minutes before my alarm went off on race day.  Because everything was all ready to go all we had to do was get dressed, feed me, and feed the baby.

I was so excited for this race to start!  My sister-in-law ran it with me and it was her first race.  It was fun to help her out with little tips.
The race started and I started running.  My first (and main) goal was to run the whole thing.  The race was at Thanksgiving Pointe, running through the gardens.  It was beautiful, but hilly.  Not gonna lie, those hills were hard.  Instead of concentrating on the hill in front of me, I looked down, focused on my feet, my breathing, and my music.  Before I knew it, I was at the top.  And I kept running.
 
My other goal was to finish in under 37 minutes.  I've never done a 6k before, so I didn't have a time to beat.  37 minutes just seemed reasonable enough.  I was running 5ks in 34 minutes and I always run faster for races.
 
 So, when my iPod told me I was done, the time said 39 minutes.  But I wasn't done.  I still had a ways to go.  Apparently, my iPod has been under-judging the distance on my runs.  When I crossed the finish line, I came in at just under 44 minutes.  And my iPod said I had gone 4 miles.  To be honest, I was pretty disappointed in my time.  But then I looked at my 3.5 mile run last week and realized that I matched that time.  So I did increase my speed.  I also got my Farthest Run, Fastest Mile, and Fastest 1k badge.

 
 
Overall, I came in 101st out of 294 women.  I was 39th out of 114 in my age group.  I feel very good about that.  Now I have a time to beat!  
 
Here's some pictures of the race.
 
Before the race (It was cold!)

 
Finish line


Getting closer


Waving at my baby.  When I saw her, I almost started to cry.


Cool Down


Post race.
 
Next race:  The Night of the Living Dead 5k on Saturday.  I'm going to be a zombie!!
 
Now on to Friend Makin' Monday
 
 
If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers, so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic
 
 

Quick and Random


1. Choose three songs that would be on the soundtrack of your life. Only 3?  As a musician, music has always been a huge part of my life.  Lullaby (Good Night My Angel), Billy Joel.  Loved it growing up, learned to play it on the piano, and now I sing it to my daughter.  I'm a Believer, Monkeys/Smash Mouth.  Shrek was one of the first movies Russ and I saw together and this song was on the soundtrack.  It song went on our wedding video and it always makes me think of our wedding day.  One of Muse's songs would have to be on there.  They are my most favorite band EVER. 

2. Share the details of one project that you’re currently working on. I am crocheting an afghan for my soon to be here niece.  I'd better get on it though...she's due in a week!!
 
3. If you could learn to do one thing overnight what would it be? Ballet.  I dream of being a ballerina.

4. If you could be a fictional character which one would you be?  Elizabeth Bennet, Jo March, or Hermione Granger.

5. What’s your favorite thing about the month of October?  Halloween!  One of my favorite things is picking out a costume and creating it.  This year I get to dress up a baby, too!

6. Share one TV show that you’re embarrassed to admit you watch. Pretty Little Liars.  I'm totally hooked.

7. Name one friend that you’re thankful to have in your life today.  Sam has been my best friend for 25 years.  I am so so glad that we are still a huge part of each other's lives.

8. What was the most relaxing part of your weekend?  This weekend?  Relaxing?  ;)  Saturday night, Russ was playing poker with some buddies so after I put K to bed I watched walking dead until 1 am.

9. Do you like to dance?  Yes.  Am I any good?  No.  Maybe in my next life.

10. Share one thing that you’re looking forward to before the end of the year.   I have two.  My 10k in December and K's first Christmas!

Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions! Take a moment to answer the questions on your own blog, and don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Just stopping in for Friends Makin' Monday.
    Wow, your first 6k event...and a 10k in December! You sound like you're working hard, especially since you're a new mom. Congratulations! Maybe your little one will be the ballerina you dreamed of being!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to post as my blog :-(
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete